I stumbled upon this “recipe” when I started to make a batch of chocolate cupcakes for my Aunt’s birthday. I thought I might make them from scratch but was slim on time so I grabbed a boxed mix from the pantry and got started. It seemed like the directions were different and the batter was really gooey but not until I checked the box for the baking time did I realized I had grabbed a Brownie Mix instead of a cake mix! So, I did what any smart person would do.
- Divide the batter into the cupcake paper lined tin, filling them about 1/3.
- Mix up an actual chocolate cake mix or recipe of your choice. (I used Devil’s Food)
- Pour it atop the brownie batter, bringing them to 3/4 full. I think I made at least 24 cupcakes with a few plain chocolate cupcakes since the cake mix yields more batter than the brownie mix)
- Bake according to the cake mix directions BUT don’t bake it so long the brownie part gets overdone. It will be gooey but not wet when you test with a toothpick.
- Top with a dollop of this delicious Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
You will want to make this one again and again!